Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vertise

Paint Adhesion

Vertise
10 years ago

okay, so I had marked some walls with blue tape (not sure which one) over Peel Stop. When I pulled it off, in a couple places the Pell Stop bubbled up and came off. Not everywhere but some places. It seemed to happen over joint compounded areas, not the old flaking walls. As if it didin't soak into the compound. It had been on for some time, months, not still curing. Not very happy about this!

Then yesterday, I pull tape off where I had masked the wall to paint the ceiling (regular blue tape). This was a new drywall, j-compounded areas along the top, and Gardz used as primer (because it is supposed to pass the "tape" test). Same thing happens, except it is my finish coat now; bubbles up like rubber with the tape and peeling off. This wall paint has been on for quite a few months, so it is not still curing.

I know I should have used frog tape, but do not consider this normal. I did remove dust from the walls before any painting. What is the problem?

This post was edited by snookums2 on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 15:45

Comments (7)

• sharon_pa
    10 years ago

How 'new' is the drywall? It may not be totally dry, thus the primer lifted. I just finished painting over 3 rooms that had very dark paneling & I used a 'bonding' primer by Valspar. It really 'grips' to any surface. I would say that even tho I washed down all of the 34 doors & drawers on the cabinets? The bonder seemed to slide right over a few small spots. I just applied a thin coat of the primer & let it dry & repeated it several times.I figured it told me someone had waxed that area-. I did use Frog tape-love it & I left it in place for the primer,, waited 3 days & applied 3 coats of a soft butter yellow latex gloss on my cabinets and when I removed the Frog tape-it came off perfectly!

• Vertise
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, it's been up for some time. Definitely dry mud! Primer too.

I will be sure to use the frog tape next time. Just that my "old" walls had a flaking paint problem. I have "fixed" it all. Then it comes off so easily. I think the regular blue paint is intended as painters tape, even though it wasn't frog or delicate type.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

I don't know what went wrong, but something was wrong with the prep stage. The blue tape should not have lifted properly applied and dried paint. At least in never has in my experience. I am not saying you did anything wrong, but I doubt it was the tapes fault.

• Vertise
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was really careful, as you know, with the prep. Not saying I didn't do something wrong anyway, but I tried hard to get all the dust off. Vacuumed twice, to go over in both directions, damp sponged afterwards. Not applying anything until the next day afterwards, for any moisture.

I guess it's possible that what dust was up in the ceiling seam areas did not come off quite as well, into the corner. But one of the people here said they just paint over undusted builder's walls, no problem.

I give up, lol. I guess these walls are cursed and hopeless. Hopefully just a few odd areas. Most of the tape came off fine. It seems to happen where there was joint compound underneath. That had plenty of time to dry. I did ask tech support if the Peel Stop could be used over jc.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 16:04

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

I missed the peel stop part, Gardz would have been way better(IMO) for soaking into the jc and sealing it up( or down?)

• Faron79
    10 years ago

* As Cn said, this ain't a "tape" issue.
    * What exact paint/sheen are you using?
    * Was "HOT-Mud", or a plaster-compound used?

Most "Blue" tapes, & the Green Frogtape are a little too aggressive for paint less than 2 wks. old...AND/OR for using over suspect substrates. The FT specifically states this on their pkg.!

The "Delicate surface" tapes from 3M (Orange-core), & the newer YELLOW FT are for "iffy/newer" paint applications.

REGARDLESS-
    * I try to hammer-home the importance of scoring thru the paint at the tapes' edge, b4 removing tape.
    * I ALWAYS wait 'til the next day to remove any tape used.
    * I score @ the tape-edge FIRST.
    * Have NEVER had a paint-lifting issue.

Faron

• Vertise
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I used the Peel Stop to lock down the remaining paint on the wall after scraping what I could off. It was Triple Thick although my heavy coat was not all that thick when it dried.

Now in the powder room downstairs, I used Gardz on the new drywall that had been put up last year. So both products did some of this lifting. Most seemed to be over jc'd areas, from what it seems. -- Although I did PS the ceiling so there could have been overlap onto the new walls from cutting in.

I don't think the Peel Stop really sinks into that jc, although the tech said it would work over the compound just fine.

I used Aura matte for the finish coat. It was up for months. Did the ceiling last because it was tricky ; )

I pressed the tape edge on hard so no seepage. Did not score. It was on maybe 3 days before I removed it. Nice clean lines.

So discouraging. I just hope there are no problems after all this work and it all holds for the next 30 years until I am dead, lol.

I'm thinking I will just use Fresh Start on the next room's ceiling. It will be easier to see and the Gardz tape test did not work for me, so I'm not sure I'm gaining anything with it here.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 1:39