Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patty_cakes_gw

type of paint

patty_cakes
10 years ago

When painting a dark color in a room with 'orange peel' walls, would a flat or eggshell/satin paint be recommended? In my 'mind's eye' I can only vision nice smooth plaster walls, but in reality, the walls are not smooth. Can a dark color with a slight gloss be just as effective(aka attractive!)in such a room? Thinking on this is driving me nuts. TIA

Comments (5)

• SunRaven01
    10 years ago

Here's a photo that might be helpful. Shows a sort of medium-gray color with different sheens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paint Sheens

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Sun, it was very helpful seeing the various finishes next to one another. I still can't make the decision and am putting this project on the back burner until the first of next year. Maybe by then I'll have my mind made up! ;o)

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

If you don't have to worry about wear, tear, and burnishing, this is the place for Farrow and Ball Estate Emulsion. I have heavy texture on my walls and used Red Earth in the powder room. It acted almost like a skim coat--really smoothed out the walls, relative to how they were before, and has a wonderful velvet texture.

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

KD, thank you sooooo much! This could be the perfect solution. In reading about both products, I'm thinking the modern emulsion may work best in the DR. I'm sending F&B an email requesting a recommendation since the color closest to what I would use(Almost Black)is very saturated, something with a slight sheen might work best. Would love lacquer!

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

If you are thinking about lacquer, the walls need to be absolutely perfect first. We weren't up to that process at all, nor would it have worked in a house that's a blown up version of a nineteenth century Texas Hill Country German farmhouse. However, in the right dining room, I would so love it.

A cautionary note: One of the posters here (my three apples) had a difficult, splotchy time with dark F&B colors in her new build. I'm not sure what the resolution was, but I was surprised by her troubles.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH