Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

BM Aura v. EcoSpec v. Natura...thoughts?

artemis78
12 years ago

We are about to paint a nursery and trying to figure out which is the best paint to use. Preference is Benjamin Moore since we love their paints and store is in the neighborhood, though I'd consider a strong rec for another brand that can colormatch BM colors well.

For our last several projects, we've used Aura and loved working with it. However, Aura is only low-VOC and Ecospec and Natura are no-VOC---not a difference that usually matters much to me, but in this particular case (brand-new baby occupant and pregnant mama painting!) we are leaning to the lowest VOC level possible. At the same time, I obviously don't want to be re-doing this paint job in a few years' time, and it's not a huge room so we won't be spending hours in there painting.

We're painting a slightly darker color over a neutral shade of BM SuperSpec latex in eggshell that was just done professionally (i.e., with a very good prep job) a few years ago and is in excellent shape (has many more years left in it; just a color change), so one big plus to the Aura is that I don't see the need for a primer in this case. With Ecospec and Natura, I think we'd need to use a primer anyway---is this right? Are there other differences we should be weighing as far as ease of painting, durability, etc.? I'd love to hear any personal experiences working with Ecospec and Natura, too. I know there's a price difference, but we're only looking at one can's worth of wall so it's not a dealbreaker.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

2 coats of either one should be all you need, both are good

• wise
    12 years ago

No matter which paint you use chances are your gonna have to use two coats. Its cheaper to use a primer tinted to the color your using followed by your topcoat of the product of your choice. Personally I wouldnt waste the money on using Aura on interior walls. I would just go with a lower grade product. Its more important using a product like aura on the exterior of the home because your exposed to the outside elements. Your average interior product preforms just fine inside. I personally have not used Benjamin Moores 0 VOC products because I feel Benjamin Moores products are over priced. You can use Sherwin Williams Harmony which is less and will preform just as good. There Pro Mar 200 line is now all 0 VOCs which will save you even more money. Within the next 5- 10 years just about all your homeowner paints will be 0 VOCs. Hope this helps.

• paintguy1
    12 years ago

" I would just go with a lower grade product. Its more important using a product like aura on the exterior of the home because your exposed to the outside elements. Your average interior product preforms just fine inside. You can use Sherwin Williams Harmony which is less and will preform just as good. There Pro Mar 200 line is now all 0 VOCs which will save you even more money. Within the next 5- 10 years just about all your homeowner paints will be 0 VOCs."

If this logic was sound, then you should just use the $5/gal flat 0 VOC paint that SW makes. For a second, assume everything was 0, it doesn't mean they are all the same any more so that all 50gpl products are the same. Folks use products like Aura because they apply and hide better when they go on, and they withstand the rigors of everyday life. For some just the first part is enough to justify the price, for others it's about washability, colorfastness and touchup. Decide what is important to then pick the product. The price of BM's 0 VOC products reflects their performance both out of the can and on the wall. Do not buy more than you need, but don't for a second believe that any old interior paint does what Aura or any other premium quality paint can do.