Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Matching Up Cool Whites/Wall Color to Coordinate

Posted by drybean (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 27, 10 at 14:50

I'm making myself crazy with this and hope someone with better color experience can assist.

I am in the midst of updating our kitchen. The oak cabinets will be painted white. The room faces west and gets a lot of warm afternoon light. Black Granite.

I am 99% certain that I want White Dove for this color, which is a cool white. I am using American Olean White subways with Maiepe Warm Grey grout.

Should my trim all be White Dove as well? There is a window casing adjacent to the kitchen cabinets, so I feel that it should match or be intentionally different.

Finally, would using a warm grey like Edgecomb Grey clash with the cool cabinets? Do you have any suggestions for a light cool gray?

I have tried several cool grays that look too blue. Stonington Gray looks too white.

I'm concerned about mixing cool & warm grays. My kitchen was previously way too orange (golden oak cabinets, light oak floors, light tan counters), but I am almost afraid I'm going too far in the other direction and it will be too cold now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Matching Up Cool Whites/Wall Color to Coordinate

Start with it all White Dove ... if after a few months, you think it's boring, paint the trim.

YOU can better pick colors when the walls, cabinets and counters are the 'real' ones.

o
RE: Matching Up Cool Whites/Wall Color to Coordinate

We just built and I had a hard time with this. We did match the trim to the cabinets and I am glad that I did. Everything is uniform and it doesn't look like we missed trying to match. I agree, if you go different go different enough so you don't look like you missed. Our trim isn't pure white and sometimes that is a bit hard because I have to go darker on walls than I want to so that we have contrast. White Dove is nice and light so no worries there.

We painted the family room Ben Revere Pewter which is a bit darker than Edgecomb. Love it. It is a warm gray with some taupe but goes great with our cool off white trim.

We have charcoal counters and painted the kitchen Ben Abalone. This is a light cool gray and might be perfect for you if you find that Edgecomb is not gray enough. It doesn't read beige at all which Revere Pewter does in some light. If you want a darker cool gray try Ben Stonington Gray, very nice. If you want really light, Ben Horizon. None of these colors seem to have annoying undertones.

If you want a tiny bit of green in the gray, Ben Sweet Spring. This color is pale and reads gray with a bit of green.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here