Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for advice on warm neutral for majority of 1st floor

Posted by lnia (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 13:47

Hello,
We will not be buying furniture/decor until well after we have moved in. Having said that, we will be painting and am looking for safe neutral tone for 1st floor (which includes 2 story greatroom and foyer) that will also complement the following in the kitchen:

antique white cabinets with brushstroke glaze
dark hardwood floor

We have a lot of windows on the 1st floor and the house faces North West. The great room with tons of windows will have a lot of sunshine in the morning, shade in the evening.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for advice on warm neutral for majority of 1st floor

I spent WEEKS deciding on paint colors for my house and went through probably 50 samples. It is so difficult because all true neutral colors look different on different walls and with different light. I finally decided on BM Aura "Stingray" and am very happy. It looks beautiful with white and with dark wood (I have old, original wood window frames, molding, and floors downstairs and white trim upstairs).

I would suspect that with your NW light, the walls would look tan in the mornings and early afternoons with the direct sunlight, then they would gradually turn to a very soft green/gray that looks lovely with warm lighting.

The best thing to do is to paint large swatches of color on white poster board and hold them up to different wall in different light throughout the day to see how the color changes. This way, you don't have a million color samples on your walls!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here