Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Concern with Exterior Paint Fading

Posted by burrough (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 26, 10 at 13:35

I am making plans to side my house with Hardieplank. The advice I am seeing on the forums is to buy the Hardieplank primed and then paint it after installation. I want the paint to last as long as possible and, therefore, want to minimize fading. What is your experience with fading based on color or based on paint brand?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Concern with Exterior Paint Fading

Some colors just fade because of the pigments used.

To minimize the appearance of fading, start with a greyed shade: grey-green instead of bright green, grey-blue instead of bright blue.

Also' look for a UV-protected paint base.

o
RE: Concern with Exterior Paint Fading

Fading with regard to color specifically has to do with inorganic vs. organic pigments. You want inorganic. Ask the paint store.

That's basically why not all colors can go exterior, that's why there are exterior color collections and interior collections.

Best place to start looking for exterior color is to make sure you're in the exterior section of the color display.

It's also a matter of light vs. dark. Lighter colors will last longer than darker ones. It's the whole deal with LRV, light reflectance value and TSR which is total solar reflectance.

So basically if you're super worried about fading, it has to be high quality exterior color/paint and you need to choose lighter colors - like a LRV around 55-60 and up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here