Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting a metal storm door

Posted by marigo (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 12 at 12:58

I find that I must paint my metal storm door. It is a Pella door, installed in May of this year. Any advice/caveats on how to proceed-short of hiring a painting contractor-would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting a metal storm door

Hi Marigo and welcome to GardenWeb. Do you plan to remove the door from its hinges or are you going to paint it in place?

Do you have a specific color in mind? Is there paint on it now that is peeling?

If you are going to do a basic color such as white, you could buy spray cans of oil-based enamel paint for metal (Rustoleum), prep the metal as indicated on the can, tape and cover what you don't wanted sprayed and go at it.

I painted my metal gutters with acrylic exterior house paint using a brush. But something tells me that you need paint that is more durable. I used an oil-based enamel paint on some metal flashing. I applied it with a brush and had some issues with even coverage.

Let's see what the pro painters here suggest.

o

Clean, lightly sand, clean, prime with a bonding primer( Zinnsers 123) let it dry overnight, paint

o

Thanks to graywings and christopehrn for their responses to my question. To graywings: the door is new so there is no peeling paint to make life miserable. I just have to change the color-from "putty" to red.

I don't like spray paint-I never quite mastered it-so I will be using an acrylic paint and apply it with a sponge brush (to minimize brush strokes). Or I will hire a painter to do it for me!

o

We had to paint our metal garage door that had a powder coat on it and the folks at BM recommended we use STYX first as a primer...it seemed to adhere it really well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here