Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cabinet Coat..nicks after one day?

Posted by baileyandbella (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 18, 10 at 12:40

I am in the process of painting my cabinets and have done it in stages (uppers first, then lowers etc). I followed Michael's directions and it has been great so far.

The last cabs to go up were the pantry doors yesterday. This morning I see 2 nicks (showing wood) near the knob.

Why is this happening and hasn't happened to any of the other cabs? Besides just touching it up, what else can I do to prevent it from happening?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cabinet Coat..nicks after one day?

Oh crap.....I just re-traced my steps in my head and I forgot to sand the pantry doors....UGH

The part where the knob is is on a raised edge (I have recessed panels). Can I just redo that raised part and not the whole door?

How should I go about re-doing it? Do I have to strip?

NOTE TO SELF....don't drink beer while paiting...LOL

o

OK...now I just went and looked closely at my other cabs. Some are also starting tiny nicks. Those I know were sanded.

I want to cry.

I have spent 3 weeks painting these cabinets.

o

Just a guess. It takes a few weeks for a new finish to cure hard. In the meantime, try not to stick your fingernails in the finish when opening the doors.

o

>>>>>>>>> It takes a few weeks for a new finish to cure hard. In the meantime, try not to stick your fingernails in the finish when opening the doors <<<<<<<<

I have seen pictures where people use tape from behind the door, as a temporary "knob" for a few weeks. Maybe I should do that.

I have kids, and I don't think they would remember to not stick their nails into the finish. :)

o

Of course, number one rule ... don't bother with anything like this until your kids are all grown up and out of the house ;-)

o

Update....I took my pantry doors off and did them all over again.

They are drying now and will hopefully be fine.

o

How frustrating--painting, if done right, is not a quick and easy task. Prepping properly is so time consuming! I can understand how frustrating and disappointing it can be, knowing you did it *right*--and then having less than stellar results. But hang in there; you've done sooo much work, there's bound to be a light at the end of the tunnel! And please be sure to update us on this later...it's so helpful to hear about the final outcome.

Hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here on out!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here