Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
TSP solution really needed?

Posted by diy_novice_23 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 28, 10 at 12:28

Do you have to use a TSP solution on your walls before priming? Can you just wipe them down? I have to paint the whole interior of the house. Is it needed in the kitchen because of any residue? Just moving in so don't know anything about what has been done.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: TSP solution really needed?

Use POWDERED Dirtex instead.
Normally doesn't need rinsing!!
TSP requires 2 or 3 rinses.

REQUIRED wash-areas: Kitchens, Baths, Entry/laundry areas.

Because you don't know what's on the walls is all the more reason to wash everything...IDEALLY.
It doesn't take much extra time, and only prevents problems down the road.
It's SUCH an important step!!

Faron

o

I have painted many many rooms in my various houses over the years. I'm lazy ergo I have NEVER washed the walls before I painted and I have NEVER primed walls before I painted either. This includes kitchens. Now recently in our new old (1780!) house I did use a stain blocker spray on some spots that were on the ceiling and then I painted the ceiling. No stains showed through.

That being said, I have never had a problem with any of the walls I have painted. My 2 cents worth, take it for what it is :)

o

Rafor's somewhat on the luckier side.

With open floor-plan rooms/kitchen areas, cooking oils/etc. are carried some distances on the steam/humidity from cooking.
Deposits from candles drift too.
Soap vapors can drift/accumulate too. Cooking sprays are another source of wall contamination.
In baths, soaps & sprays get carried onto walls and built up...then people wonder why even their primer won't stick!!

>>> Washing (with a DETERGENT) and priming solve many problems, AND CREATE NONE.
>>> Water by itself is pretty much useless AS A CLEANER.

Faron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here