Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Color matching (Wythe Blue)

Posted by petes_wife (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 12:10

New to the forum here, but have found lots of great help so far!

I've almost decided (for the 50th time) to paint my LR/DR Wythe Blue. Love the color on the chip, love the color in the pictures I'm seeing online, and love the stuff people are saying about it.

Here's my concern: We will be getting the color matched at Pittsburgh Paint (long family history of working with them). However, I've read so many times lately comments like, "The color on the paint card just doesn't do it justice." If that's the case and I bring in the paint card to get it matched, would it not have the same color, effect, and quality as if I had gotten the Wythe Blue straight from BM? Forgive me if this is a stupid question. ;-)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Color matching (Wythe Blue)

Not a dumb question at all!

The MAIN "Aegis"-like point here is...
"There's no such thing as a perfect match."

It's just not possible. I can get D@MN close usually, given some time to tweak a color. Unless you're using "company X's" formula and colorants...100% isn't possible. Won't happen.

Do this:
* Buy a Qt. of the colormatch at your PPG store. Give the staff some time to tweak it.
* Have them save the "final" Qt. formula.
* THEN...brush/roll some out...onto foamboard samples. Do 2 coats, just as you would on the actual wall.

>>> DON'T brush samples onto the wall!!

* Now let it dry a few hours, and check the appearance the next day.
* Move your samples around the room, and check in different lights. Use painter's-tape and put-'em-up for a while!
* If you're satisfied, have them scale-up the formula to a gallon.

Faron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here