Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice needed- painting metal furniture

Posted by grad_girl_1 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 11:59

Hi all,

I could use some advice. I will be painting the metal frames of dining room chairs, can anybody recommend paint or techniques?

I have one friend who swears I must spray them rather than use a brush, but at the hardware store they say either technique would be fine.

The challenge for me with spraying is that I live in a condo and it would be difficult to find a suitable place to spray them. In addition, I have more experience using a brush/roller.

I'm also looking for recommendations on what brand/type of paint to use. I'd like something that will stick to the furniture, and be safe for metal (e.g. prevent rust).

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice needed- painting metal furniture

Oil-based paints are the traditional choice of furniture craftsman for hundreds of years. Before painting on furniture you should clean it. Paint cannot stick to an item that is dirty so clean furniture and let it dry complete. Next you will need to sand down your piece with 120 grit sand paper, removing any rust from the piece. Sanding will give the paint something to grip to. It will helps as do not last paint. Once you are done priming your piece of furniture, it is time to prime it. Like sanding, primer helps the paint to stick better to your furniture, so take the time to apply a few light coats of primer before you paint.
Once your primer has had time to completely dry, you can apply your paint. Typically spray paint has the smoothest results on metal, however if you apply your paint correctly you can get good results with a brush as well. Either way, you want to apply your paint in several light coats, letting dry between each coat. This will help prevent drips and give a smoother finish. If you do choose a spray paint, look to see if you can find one specifically designed for metal. These paints will typically protect your furniture from rust for years to come, so they are worth the extra money. Brands like Rust-Olium and Krylon both provide excellent results at a reasonable price.

Here is a link that might be useful: Metal furniture painting

o
RE: Advice needed- painting metal furniture

Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here