Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best brush to use to cut in?

Posted by primbynature (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 23, 08 at 11:34

We will start to paint our walls in a couple of weeks. We are having a pro do all the painted woodwork, cabinets, beadboard, doors and ceilings and we are doing the walls. I think that I would rather cut in than use the blue tape. I have a steady hand so will be the one to do all the cutting. What is the very best brush I can buy for this and what is the best size? Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best brush to use to cut in?

From my experience painting, the best brushes on the market are, by far, Purdy. If you have a steady hand then I would recommend a 3" cut brush. These brushes are slightly slanted at one end to allow for cut work. They are a nylon/polyester blend on the bristles. This will work great for cutting in anything. Good luck.

o

thank you!!

o

I like 2.5" straight brush, Wooster or Corona.

o

Corona Chinex, IMHO.

http://www.coronabrushes.com/corona/index.cfm?event=showSeries&id=6

I have used Purdy, Wooster, and other cheaper brushes also....no more for detail work.

Pete

o

I like 2.5" straight brush, Wooster or Corona.

Ditto

o

thanks everyone for your suggestions and help! may pick up one each of the angled and straight and see which one I feel more comfortable with!

o

All of them will feel about the same in your hand, but the performance comes when you lay it on the wall. Flagged tips will create a very sharp edge when the brush is wet. Chinex will hold more paint, release it quicker and lay it on more evenly.

I'd choose a Chinex, Corona Excalibur.

Michael

o

thank you michael. I live in a rural area and have only lowes and sherwin williams close by. I remember seeing purdy and wooster at lowes but not chinex. will I be able to find it a SW?

o

Wooster offers a Chinex brush. Lowes offers Wooster.

Michael

o

ahh! thank you!!!

and Pete! sorry I didn't see where you had said Chinex too! totally missed the post!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here