Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finishing Basement Stair Recommendations Needed

Posted by gle2011 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 19, 12 at 11:28

I live in a 1 year old home in Massachusetts and would like to finish and protect the basement stairs.
The basement is dry and I do run a dehumidifier to control the humidity level at 45%.
The stair treads are clear pine the risers are a painted white (primed wood) and the stringers are also a construction grade 2"x10" pine.
I plan on doing a light sanding to remove any surface dirt on the treads.
My questions is should I paint; stain or carpet the stairs?
I want to be sure the stairs are a low maintenance item.
There is a second refrigerator and storage shelving in the basement, so there is light traffic use on the stairs.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finishing Basement Stair Recommendations Needed

I went with carpeting as to me it always feels warmer and makes the basement feel less "basement" like. Nothing says basement to me like wood stairs....especially if they're pine, covering them shouldn't be an issue....i might feel differently if they were mahogany or some such.

o

Annie,
If you don't mind me asking what type of carpet/pad did you use?
Thanks

o

If they were my stairs, I would just paint them with porch/floor paint to be sure it is slip resistant.

o

No pad on the stairs and we went with a pile nylon carpet. The architect designed the stairs to take the carpet so the steps and the risers flow into the wood trim on the stairs...no need to wrap the carpet around the steps.

o

I painted my basement stairs with an exterior porch paint from Sherwin Williams- it is extremely durable and scrubbable.
Then I glued carpet treads to each one with construction adhesive. This gave me the durability and easy to clean properties of paint with the sure-footedness and traction of carpet.
I did the same thing on an outdoor porch stairway and three years of rain and snow later they still look as good as the day I did them. I am actually amazed at how well they are holding up.
I did measure and place each tread very carefully so they would look nice. I am very happy with my results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here