Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john02139

Hand rubbed enamal paint recommendation

john02139
9 years ago

I am looking for recommendations for brands of oil base custom mixed high gloss enamel that can be applied with a brush, wet sanded and rubbed out to a mirror finish. I have had success with Rustoleum as bought at Home Depot but unfortunatly it only comes in an extremely limited number of colors. I also had success with FPE (Fine Paints of Europe) which can be mixed to match but it is soooo expensive.

Additional comments, objectives and questions are as follows. Because my need is limited, I want to avoid the expense, health hazards and inconvenience of purchasing and setting up for any kind of spray painting operations. I want this finish for a number of interior home furnishing projects (drawer fronts, desk top, bar counter etc.) all of which will be flat, horizontal and free of intricate moldings and hard edges. Hardness and durability are important objectives. My technique so far is based on a youtube video which involves careful prep and priming, painting three or four coats at three hour intervals with paint thinned 50:50 with mineral spirits and flattened the following morning by wet sanding with 600 grit paper. The paint/sanding process is repeated until a uniform matte finish is obtained without any glossy spots (low points). I then wet sanded through a progression of grits up to 2000 and followed with rubbing compound and polish from an auto store. Other questions are whether I should consider other kinds of paint (water based, polyurathan, lacquer etc.) and if I should be following color coats with a clear coat of some kind?

Thank you for your attention. Any comments will be appreciated.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living