Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
staining banister question - stain/finish in one or not?

Posted by susanwrites (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 16, 10 at 11:16

Yesterday I picked up some of the sample packs of Varathane stains to test the stain colors for the banister. I did a bunch of test pieces and then, once I picked the color I told the painter what I was going with and that I'd pick up the stain tomorrow for her to do the staining. And she said to get the one that had stain and top coat all in one. I don't know anything about staining stuff so I had no idea they even made that.

So what I wonder if anyone else has used those without a top coat, which is what she says she uses. Just the all in one and no top coat. She said most of the ones she does, people don't want the shiny finish so that works just fine for protecting.

Pros/cons/comments?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: staining banister question - stain/finish in one or not?

In my opinion, these products are marketing gimmicks. I'm sure if there is actual poly in the stain, there will be some protection, but nowhere near the protection you would get by applying the stain and poly as two different steps, the way it is supposed to be. I prefer to use the poly as full strenth in a satin finish, two coats with sanding in between coats. Nobody likes sheen on wood? I never heard that one before.

o
RE: staining banister question - stain/finish in one or not?

Thanks, paintguy. I appreciate the input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here