Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenes_gw

Priming over patched spots - I'm confused

jenes
13 years ago

I've been trying to figure this out from the information out there on this and other forums, but I'm seeing different answers or maybe not understanding the answers.

I am going to be painting bedroom walls, and there is a small area that needs patching. I'm planning on using BM Aura matte, and the color change is just cream to beige (latex over latex). The room has a ton of light, so any small differences in the sheen would be noticeable.

After patching and sanding, do I spot prime, and if so with what kind of primer? I've seen people say that if you shouldn't spot prime, but instead prime the whole wall. Others have said you can just spot prime with the same latex paint you're using to paint the walls and then it won't flash. Others say use oil or shellac over a patch. Still others say regular latex primer, because oil or shellac will look shinier under the paint.

I've also seen a lot of people say you don't need to prime at all, but I thought that the joint compound would be more porous than the wall. It's possible that the non-primers are assuming painting over a painted wall without any patching. I've read too much and gotten myself confused. Thank you for any help that will straighten me out on this issue.

Comments (3)

• paintguy22
    13 years ago

When we say don't spot prime, it is usually because the walls are getting two full coats of paint. It is true that the patchwork will absorb the paint more. You can try spot priming with Aura and this may work okay, but I always just give everything two full coats because this is really the way that washable paints are meant to be applied in order so that they perform as they should.

• jenes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So it is OK to use paint over a patch - I think that was my main point of confusion. I'm definitely doing two coats, paintguy, you've convinced me in your other posts. Thanks!

• Faron79
    13 years ago

I would only make a mild revision to the esteemed Jack Pauhl. He's got lots of good info. on a few different forums.

>>> It kinda depends on what quality an existing Flat paint is...many flat paints can be fairly porous. Flat PRIMERS aren't porous at all, since the function of primer to PREVENT any porosity.
    * Sooooo...If your existing paint is flat, as JP suggests, use flat paint. I'd do two quick "hazy" coats on the patches, then your 2 coats of Aura Matte.
    * Since your "end-paint" is so good, it shouldn't flash at all. Higher-solids paints like that don't get pulled into the wall so easily.
    * If you were using a lower-grade paint, "to save $$", we'd suggest spot-priming, then a full prime, THEN the 2 coats of "cheaper" finish paint.

Separate point NOT related to the OP's ?:

>>> Cheap paint rarely saves money, and often costs more in the end. IF you're after GOOD results anyway!!!!!

Faron