Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtskansas

Is this quality from a professional? Or am I too picky?

mtskansas
12 years ago

I just completely remodeled my kitchen and hearth room. Just have finishing the floors and paint touch up to finish. The painters did a fabulous job on the stained and painted cabinets.

I feel their wall paint work is just ok. We removed wallpaper (which came off very easy - no damage to drywall.). Next they put a coat of my wall color (taupe green), patched and sanded a bit, and rolled a second coat.

Upon my inspection, I still see some small imperfections on the wall surface. Small glop, small divit/chip, rough corners where walls meet, etc. And there are a few areas of bad paint coverage. Not a ton, but my eye

sees everything. Some might come in and not notice a thing!

Can I expect perfection or is that unrealistic? Also, shouldn't they of used

a tinted primer and then 2 coats of paint?

They are using BM eggshell. When I complained a bit, the painter said you wouldn't see anything if you would of used flat finish. But I wanted

eggshell for durability with my kids.

Before I plan my approach to the touch up process, I would love to hear

everyone's opinions.

I do hold over half of their (rather large) payment.

Thanks for your help!!!

Comment (1)

• paintguy22
    12 years ago

Many painters deliver this kind of quality because hardly anyone notices when you do the perfect job. Rough areas, paint that isn't covered completely and holes in the wall are all legitimate concerns that a good painter should be happy to take care of. Sometimes if it is a drywall issue, the painter may claim that is not his responsiblity. I wouldn't really mess around with asking them if they used a tinted primer. Most paint colors will cover in two coats over a white primer. The tinted primer is just added insurance. If there are only a few areas where the paint isn't covered completely, then that is just painter error....in other words, they missed a spot and it is their job to touch it up. If the color really needed another coat, then you would see poor coverage everywhere.