Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What grit sandpaper to use when painting

Posted by jenes (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 9:38

I am getting ready to paint my cabinets - or at least do a trial on back of one of the doors to see if I can do it well enough - and I've searched the forums and have found a wealth of information, but I've missed what grit of sandpaper to use. For the initial sand, I've seen people mention 180 - does that sound right? What about between coats, something finer? I'm thinking I'll sand between the coats of primer and paint, if I can stand it.

I've already asked a sanding related question, but I thought a new thread with the topic in the subject would be better and maybe help future searches.

If anyone wants to offer tips on sanding, I would appreciate that too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What grit sandpaper to use when painting

100 grit sandpaper or medium grit sanding blocks for initial sanding and 150 grit for between coats. The between coat sanding should not be that labor intesive...you don't even have to sand if the wood is smooth really.

o
RE: What grit sandpaper to use when painting

Thank you. I can try doing one cabinet back without sanding in between coats to see if it improves the appearance any. The wood is in really good shape.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here