Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schreibdave

Painting window panes

schreibdave
16 years ago

I have to paint 2 interior french doors - both sides. Each door has 10 windows. Is there any shortcut to painting the rails and stiles that the pros can recomend?

I could try to tape the windows to keep the paint off of them but in my experience that doesnt always work well. Plus I would have a lot of taping to do. I could not protect the windows at all, be as careful as I can be and then go back and scrape the paint off the window with a razor.

Anybody have any better suggestions? Thanks

Comments (6)

• timhag
    16 years ago

"be as careful as I can be and then go back and scrape the paint off the window with a razor." Without having little experience, this this the best method to use.

• Michael
    16 years ago

The SDL or TDL grilles are best painted without tape to create a seamless line between glass and grilles. I paint a lot of those types and find it a relaxing chore. Just take your time.

Before a razor, score the paint line at the glass and wood joints to create a clean cut then scrape lightly toward each grille bar. Brush out the paint residue with a stiff chip brush and then vacuum.

The stiles and rails must be painted in sections. No other simple, fast way. Paint in the direction of the stile and rail without overlapping onto each other.

Be sure to use a 100% acrylic enamel for the doors.

Michael

• premier
    16 years ago

Totally agree with Michael.

• paintguy22
    16 years ago

I would cut the glass in by hand or use some tape. Most of the french doors I see have a nice size gap between the wood and the glass that paint won't fill so it depends on the door I guess. There is some corner tape on the market that would make taping faster too. I hear a lot of horror stories about homeowners and even professional window cleaners scratching the glass when cleaning off the paint with a razor. Make sure you keep it level and always use a new blade.

• weed_cutter
    16 years ago

I'm with Michael's suggestion on scraping and your idea of "be as careful as I can be and then go back and scrape the paint off the window with a razor" except forget about being careful. You'll waste more time being careful than if you just accept the fact that you'll have to scrape anyway. Just paint away. I aim for a 1/2" wide band of paint on the glass as it peels away easier than just a little bit of paint. Scrape paint off the glass within a couple of days of application does make it easier.

• steve-va
    16 years ago

I don't normally have to scrape my windows with a razor after painting but often I clean up the previous paint on the glass while preping the window. I will use 1-2 razors for every 6 over 6 double hung window or side of a french door. Dull razor blades are typically the culprit in scratching glass.