Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twokidsfivedogs

What is the Best Way to Paint Mouldings/Baseboards?

twokidsfivedogs
15 years ago

They have existing acrylic paint and we have heard they should be redone with oil based paint since they need repainting. Is oil based the way to go and what steps would we use to do this with the acrylic paint already on?

Comments (3)

• Michael
    15 years ago

Step 1. Fire your adviser! Oil or alkyd paints are not required and no longer preferred on interior surfaces. 100% acrylic latex paints replace alkyd and offer higher performance and appearance over the service life.

Step 2. Repair any nail holes with spackle. Remove dirt and grime from the trim with a Dirtex solution. Sand to the smoothness you prefer. Brush and vacuum clean.

Step 3. Prime with a quality latex undercoat enamel such as Pittsburgh paints undercoat. Sand primed surface if needed using a #220 grit sanding sponge. Vacuum clean.

Step 4. Look for gaps between walls and trim and miter joints. Caulk with a quality latex caulk and tool with finger; wipe smooth and clean with a damp cloth.

Step 5. Choose a 100% acrylic latex enamel for the trim. Apply two coats, allowing to dry between coats.

Choose quality primers, paints and applicators for a professional finish.

Michael

• twokidsfivedogs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Michael!

• patrushka_ma
    15 years ago

Thanks, Michael. I keep asking this question but it disappears. How long does it take for interior latex paint on woodwork to dry and if you use a satin or a semi-gloss, should you sand in between? Also, is it better not to paint inside on a rainy day? I am wondering why my paint always looks so flat when I want some shine to it on the woodwork and wonder if it was very humid when painting. Happy Halloween!

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz