Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scarlett001

Sherwin-Williams color using Benj Moore paint (??)

Scarlett001
11 years ago

I've done some homework and I seem to have come to the conclusion that the BM Aura Matte paint is the paint that I want to use for my professional painting job being done next week (from what I gather, the SW paints just don't get such good overall reviews). But the colour that I have chosen is an SW colour - Ivoire.

I realize that colour matching may not be perfect, but would BM store be able to get a pretty close match to Ivoire?? Is there any real danger to using an SW colour with BM paint (I would test the colour match before going ahead with purchasing the paint for the entire house)??

Thoughts/comments anyone??

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

yes, they will be able to match it perfectly

• Scarlett001
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great. Thank you.

BTW I just looked at your page on GardenWeb and it seems that you have a painting etc company. Do you have any comments about using Aura Matte paint vs. one of the Sherwin Williams paints? SW told me that the Emerald Paint is thick and may be a bit different to work with - but I could not find clearcut answers to how people are finding the paint - sort of mixed reviews. Given my skylights and vaulted ceilings I'd sooner have a paint that is tried and tested for a longer period of time than Emerald (which is really new on the market) to ensure a really nice finish. I want to go either low or no VOC.

• PRO
    11 years ago

Aura all the way!
    Emerald in also good but not as good(imo)

• Scarlett001
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you!!

• PRO
    11 years ago

Thats why we are here, to help.

• Scarlett001
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh dear - if you see my new post, you will see that the BM store totally blundered the colour match. I took it home (I painted it on a board right beside the original SW Ivoire) and it is *not* the same colour at all. It looks like some other colour, not just a slight mismatch. I gave the store an actual can of the Ivoire paint not just a chip, so I find this unacceptable. Blah. See new thread for my new questions...

• PRO
    11 years ago

In all the years I have delt with BM, this happens very rarely, but it happens. Get the Emerald, it is fine paint.

• Scarlett001
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you.

Much better experience today. Decided I will "test" out the Ivoire Emerald Paint in a full gallon before the contractor buys 6 gallons to paint the entire house. Also, the SW guy pointed out that he wanted to test the full gallon colour vs. the quart-size sample I used to ensure I got the bestest match since I liked/tested the quart size.

We discovered that there is a slight difference in that the Ivoire gallon has a bit less apricot undertone than the sample and has a bit less depth of colour. I always found the sample quart played a tad more apricot than I liked but on the other hand we wanted to make sure that it played up no green undertones that I really do not like yet has the depth of the quart sample that I do like - so as compromise he added a bit more colour (ochre I think) to end up at a hybrid between Ivoire gallon and Ivoire sample and I think it will be perfect based on my initial test just now.

Now I will test the Emerald paint itself vs. the colour to see how it dries etc, although I am sure it will all be fine.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm