Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandsonik_gw

Can ayone identify this blue?

sandsonik
14 years ago

This was posted in the bathroom forum last year - unfortunately with no paint color listed. Any experts care to hazard a guess of what might fit the bill?

Here is a link that might be useful: na_praha's blue bathroom

Comments (9)

• sandsonik
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Actually, this is another one (quite different, really) that I adore - but unfortunately had no name on the site I found it on!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

It could pass for SW's Aqua-Sphere. Finding a color to match what you're seeing on your monitor shouldn't be hard -- a lot of blues out there like that one. Pratt & Lambert's color collection has several as a matter o'fact.

• sandsonik
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. I believe the second one is Benjamin Moore, but not sure which shade. I've been at their site constantly, trying to guess the match!

• trk65
    14 years ago

Just a guess-Benjamin Moore Buxton Blue HC-149 or Yarmouth Blue HC-150.

• Rudebekia
    14 years ago

This is SW Breezy, tweaked ever so slightly to bring out the blue rather than acqua shade.
    {{!gwi}}

• catkin
    14 years ago

Check out BM Palladian Blue, although it's a smidge lighter...I have this color in my bedroom (with white furniture) and office (with black furniture) and it is gorgeous!

• mike_kaiser_gw
    14 years ago

With all due respect, asking people do identify a color from an online picture is pretty much a waste of time because everyone's monitor will display the image slightly differently. I may see Sherwin William Robin's Egg on a Foggy Morning while the next guy maybe a an Pratt & Lambert's Northern Sky Over Albuquerque.

A quick look seems to indicate that there isn't an exact way to get a paint to match a computer image, even if you'd look at the CMYK color model. Even then, unless you have a color calibrated monitor, what you see probably won't be what you get.

Your best bet is probably to print the image, tweaking as necessary to get the color print to match the color you see and then having the paint store match that. The other alternative is to simply get a stack of paint chips from the store and pick something you like.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

M.K. that's absolutely correct. Even the most expertly calibrated uberest-bestest monitor in the world will never display color in a manner that can 'get a paint to match a computer image'. They're two different spaces of color. Additive (monitor) and subtractive (paint). There will always be a 'difference' due to the fundamental nature of each space of color.

We do talk about that a lot around here. Another reminder never hurts tho! âº

The benefit of discussing specific colors is the discussion. Not necessarily the literal translation. It's the descriptors that come with the posts about color that can be constructive color assistance. It's the multiple feedback and opinions and experiences from a variety of fellow posters that can guide people to resources or even 'angles' on certain colors that someone may have not noticed or been able to put into words themselves until someone else saw it and wrote about it.

As far as printing, it's the same situation. Translating additive paint color that's 'in' your monitor 'out' to a piece of paper is a frustrating exercise in futility for most people with average printers, etc.

I 'virtually paint' houses on a regular basis and then provide a professional print that's guaranteed to match paint chips. I know what I'm doing and have been doing this a long time and even I have to admit that it doesn't always go smoothly! Some days the moon and stars just don't line up so everything comes out they way I want it to.

Without the words and a sharing of human color interpretation, I agree with you, viewing colors online is just a waste of time.

• na_praha
    14 years ago

I know I'm WAY too late on this (haven't been keeping up with THS since having a baby right about when you posted this message, sandsonik) but in case others are wondering, the color is Dutch Boy's Hydrangea Bloom, matched in Miller Paint's Acro Pure paint.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangea Bloom