Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to do more patching after 1st coat of paint, should I wait?

Posted by nearthestars333 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 30, 11 at 0:10

Hi, I usually find the answers to most my questions by searching the forum. I can't seem to find the answer to my current question though.

I recently started painting my office. I was surprised to find that what looked like a bad drywall job was actually joint compound used to cover up two layers of wallpaper that covered painted plaster coated blue-board. Instead of adding yet another layer to the mix I scraped back to the plaster. I tested the walls with a cotton swab that had rubbing alcohol on it and believe the walls were painted with oil- based paint. This is what I have done so far:

Washed
Patched and sanded
Lightly sanded the entire walls
Washed
Primed (using oil-based primer)
1 Coat of Latex paint

Now that I have a solid color on the walls, I see a couple places that need more patching. I'm afraid that if I patch now when I sand I will damage the fresh coat of latex, because latex tends to be gummy.

Would any one with a similar experience have insight into whether I should wait for the paint to cure before patching. If so how long would that be? Also, should I use oil based primer or latex primer to prime the patches?

I know, that's a lot of info. I just want to make sure I give all the information needed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to do more patching after 1st coat of paint, should I wa

Wait a day or 2 till it hardens and go ahead , patch, sand, clean, prime( with the same oil, re-paint

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here