Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opinions on new exterior paint job

Posted by jimmyw88 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 0:03

Hi all
we just finished painting our victorian in San Francisco, attempting to put a modern spin on a classic house (the back of the house has been added on and is completely modern in feel). would be great to get a fresh pair of eyes with an honest opinion! what do you think? Should we keep the paint color as is or make any changes, particularly to the trim color?

Thanks!

This post was edited by jimmyw88 on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 0:06

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinions on new exterior paint job

Are you saying that you have not yet painted the trim? Certainly gray and white look fine together. One of my favorite color combinations is gray and cream - if you are looking for suggestions.

o

Ask a Professional Decorator, if not several. Tell them you'll pay their fee if you use their ideas. Ultimately, it's a matter of personal preference and budget. Good luck finding a match for that dark grey paint! Nevertheless, the house looks real good from the picture as is.

o

I love the paint color!! It's modern but nor obnoxiously so. I think it's perfect for the house. If you are seeking a change, you can always paint the front door a brighter color.

o

I find high contrast of this sort very old fashioned. lessening the contract between the trim and body color would lend it a more modern feel. But remember -- its an OLD house … it will NEVER be modern. Why not be true to the house's historic exterior and let the interior breath a modern air ?

o

I think it looks nice as is. If you want to make it less traditional looking, maybe painting the trim a deep brick red. Would go great with grey and take it out of the 'white trim' era.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here