Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advance vs. Impervo

Posted by davisgard (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 24, 11 at 23:52

I went to my local ACE store to buy Benjamin Moore's waterborne Impervo for some trim work, and they didn't have it--it has been replaced by a new version, called Advance. The paint person said Advance is supposed to be better, with fewer brush marks.

Has anyone used it?

My concern is that the can says to clean up with soap and water and then mineral spirits. I generally try to avoid oil paints (to the extent they can even be bought in California) because of the use of mineral spirits--there really isn't any environmentally good way to dispose of the used mineral spirits. Any thoughts on that aspect of Advance?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advance vs. Impervo

Advance is not a replacement for WB Satin Impervo, it's a different product altogether. WBSI is an acrylic, Advance is a waterborne alkyd (cleans up with soap and water). Both can produce excellent results but they go about it quite differently. WBSI handles like a typical 100% acrylic but is a bit thinner and prone to dripping if you overload the brush while Advance goes on like an alkyd - heavier with much longer open time. Both have a bit of a learning curve but it's worth the effort.

As for mineral spirits, most brush makers suggest a final rinse in mineral spirits but it's not necessary.

o
RE: Advance vs. Impervo

I use satin impervo the all the time for cabinets, great product! I won't use advance because the dry time is the same as an oil paint and it actually yellows like an oil, substantially so even after few months!. As told to me by fellow contractor. Also rust scat from Coronado is good and muralo ultra is excellent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here