Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior Paint Directly After Rain Okay?

Posted by devon8 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 25, 08 at 22:27

We are getting the exterior of our house painted and we live in Seattle. It's been raining for the last week.

There is supposed to be one clear weather day tomorrow and our exterior painters want to get started on the priming (it's still raining this evening). I'm panicked about them painting so closely after the rain. Everything I have read says that you have to wait 3 days or so for the wood to dry before painting? What happens if they don't wait?

I should note that we had massive paint failure and so removed all of the paint from the lapboards on the bottom of our house. So the wood is completely exposed. On the top, we installed new Hardy shingles.

Thanks so much for any advice you can provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior Paint Directly After Rain Okay?

If the wood is wet, don't paint it. The moisture content needs to be under 14 percent which can be checked with a moisture meter. If you paint wet wood, the paint will certainly fail faster than if you painted the wood when it was dry. Painting wet wood will also invalidate the warranty on the paint. What will probably happen is the painters will see that it rained all night and will probably cancel. If they actually show up to paint wet wood then I'd say you hired the wrong guys. I don't really know that there is a 3 day rule, but it's really common sense that all painters should have. They know the sun needs to come out to speed up the drying and that if it is overcast that it will take longer to dry out. They may also show up to caulk, prep or paint areas that didn't get wet....I will do that sometimes as it may be a better option than sitting at home waiting.

o
RE: Exterior Paint Directly After Rain Okay?

For our deck exposed direct 90+ weather in fair or mild humidity dried our paint in 4 hours before a storm giving no drips or messes.

Likewise for 4 hours in more humid 90 or so degree weather, the underside of the deck dripped, especially in the last 40 minute areas we painted.

Even if they get rain, have them take out any vents you have and rinse out the meshwork inside.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here