Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kooops

Tinting Cabinet Coat BM linen white

Kooops
10 years ago

I'm preparing to paint my kitchen cabs. I've gleaned tons of information from this forum and online. I decided to choose BM paints and after many samples narrowed it down to linen white.

I'm painting some sample doors (actually 2 door basement bath vanity cabinet). I had my local BM store mix me the BM advance and Cabinet Coat in linen white. The colors are entirely different however. CC is much much yellower than the same color in BM advance. The clerk pointed out that they are mixed on different machines as the base is different etc etc. The can labels both show linen white but different compositions.

I took them home to see which paint I preferred. I did the advance first and was very happy with the application and leveling (used BM fresh start primer). Then I did the CC and WOW, that is some nice paint! Went on so smooth, leveled beautifully and the sheen and coverage is amazing. It looks sprayed. So.....I want to go with CC but want the true BM Linen white color. Have others had trouble with tinting CC paint at a BM store?

Should I have them try to match it better or is it not possible to achieve a good match?

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

A competent employee should be able to match it with no problem. I would go back to the same store and show them the difference and have them fix it. It should NOT be a problem

• Kooops
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, thanks. Will go back and perhaps talk with someone different. This person made it seem as if the CC just tints differently. He specifically pointed out to me that the colors were different and then showed me the label that said the BM linen white name and color code on both cans.

I only had a quart mixed. It was mixed in the CC tint base and the label looks correct, so I don't know what could have been done wrong. Just hoping they can get the color I want as I really love the paint.

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

Don't forget it probably won't be a perfect match, but a decent clerk can usually get it close enough to make the customer happy. The only real way to get the exact color you are wanting is to have it made in the actual brand that makes the color.

• Kooops
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just put 1 coat of the CC on the outside of my vanity doors (which have the same profile as my kitchen cabs). It again turned out very nice. I put the door in my kitchen and I'm actually liking the color- it's just ever so slightly too yellow. So now I'm wanting to have something in between the BM Linen white and the yellowed CC version of linen white. Hopefully this can be accomplished without too much trial and error.

There are numbers on my can of CC- do these indicate the color make-up? I'm wondering if we can use those to determine a similar composition with a little less yellow.

Incidentally, here are my doors, I did a combination of brush and foam roller. This is only 1 coat of primer and 1 coat of cabinet coat. At first they don't look all that great- but I just walk away. I come back 45 mins later and they leveled out and the color uniforms nicely.

And a picture of the oranged out cabinets I'll be painting.

• Kooops
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, mystery of the tint solved.

I went back to BM today with my 2 cans of paint. I told them how I wanted to find a color somewhere in between the BM Advance Linen white and the Cabinet Coat "version" of linen white. The clerk (a different one than the one who originally mixed it) looked at the quarts and said I can tell you why the CC is so yellow- whoever mixed it used the GALLON formula instead of the quart formula.

To think I puzzled over this for a week and couldn't understand why it had to be so off. I stared at the label over and over and never noticed the word "gallon" on there. So he mixed me the proper linen white and I'm going to try it and if need be gradually go darker.