Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jay06

paint asphalt shingles?

jay06
13 years ago

We recently re-shingled the roof of our little lake cottage and needed to put a roll-out asphalt material on two smaller areas with low, almost flat slopes. The shingles are an architectural forest green color, and the roofer tried his best to match the roll-out material to the shingles, but he had few choices. The only green available looks like the color on a mini-golf course :-)--really different from the shingles.

I see that Home Depot has an acrylic latex paint that can be used on asphalt shingles. Does anyone have experience with this or have any suggestions on how I can better match the roll-out stuff to the shingles?

Comments (3)

• sierraeast
    13 years ago

You might contact Henry's about their elastomeric roof coatings. On the link under #275, (click on the #275), water based white elastomeric roof coatings it states they have a variety of custom colors. The advantage to an elastomeric coating is that it remains flexible with temperature changes. Put some on my shop roof and it still looks great after 15 years. Longevity on most materials depends on geographic location despite manufacturers claims, but Henry's is a reputable coatings outfit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Henry's

• jay06
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, sierraeast. I'll check that out. I've been reading about the elastomeric coatings, and that might do the trick.

• jheumann
    12 years ago

I've contacted Henry's and they do not support the use of their coatings on asphalt shingle roofs. I can't say why because htey didn't, just that their product s not for use on asphalt shingle coatings. One company that does put it into print that asphalt shigles are an acceptable substrate is BlackJack's Sta Kool 770. Though I can't find it in stores...