Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellusionz

Choosing my first exterior color scheme

ellusionz
10 years ago

After buying my new house last year I've finally come across enough money to have some people help me paint it. So I googled a bunch of scheme and think I've decided on what I want. Was hoping to get y'alls recommendations on how to go about making the colors look right (brand/color name/technique?) or maybe choose different ones if ya think it might not be right :)

From the photo you can see I live in a pretty rural setting in the city. My main color preference is gray and teal with some copper (or maybe stick with the brick red color). I found this gorgeous house photo I'll post in a followup I want to try to mimic, tho I know it really only looks that good because of the design of the actual house.

So my plan is to do the house in the gray, door a copper red, window and roof trim in teal. Roof itself will stay that color until it needs to be repaired (can only afford so much at once! Eventually I plan on expanding the front porch out some, to before the window on the left with fencing? around it and poles. My main idea is to make it a whimiscal/cottage garden feel which will be added on when I plant more stuff around the house.

Thanks for all your inputs! :)

This post was edited by Ellusionz on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 9:51

Comments (5)

• ellusionz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the photo of the house I really want to try to match if I can.

Oh and I wanted to also know is there a way to make what I know will end up looking more like a flat single gray color more eye popping with texture like the paint comes across on the singles of this photo?

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I like the idea of a gray/teal/copper-red scheme in and of itself. But your brown roof is so dominant, I think it could be very hard to find a gray that coordinates with it.

Have you looked at the on line Ben Moore exterior color brochure? Look at the Historical Colors Collection. Page 6 has a house with a brown roof.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ben Moore exterior paint ideas

• graywings123
    10 years ago

And, your average house paint is not going to give you any texture like the photo has.

• ellusionz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the response, from recommendations of other friends too they said my like is just too dark for my house. Wish it was designed better...too much roof in the view! :(

So here's the other two colors I'm really liking. :)

Again, hard to tell how they'll do on my house. The left side is unique with the purple trim (reminds me of a whimsical cottage). But its kind of muted. I like how the right side pops but don't totally like the yellowish trim..and what color is the shutters, dark green I think? And it may not look as good without having more of that nice brown with the garage doors.

I got my first quote too, 1800! Seems a bit high so having others tomorrow. Hoping to stay near 1k-1.2k otherwise its eating into my new patio budget.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I agree that the roof color must be factored in. It will make a big difference when all the windows are painted the same color. But be aware that the pictures you are choosing have a lot of trim at the eaves whereas your house doesn't. So very little of that will show.

I'd think about a taupe with a white trim...and pop the front door with an accent color...maybe even the purple that you like.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH