Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
forhgtv_gw

UV Protectant Additive or Coating for Ext. Paint

forhgtv
12 years ago

I am having my wood trim repainted. Most of it is on a west-facing facade that receives salt-laden moisture and blazing sunlight. The painter is sanding down to the bare wood, using a Zinsser oil-based primer and BM Moorglo Exterior Acrylic. I was wondering if there is any top coat or additive that could make the paint more resistant to the elements. Thank you in advance for your help.

Comments (4)

• paintguy1
    12 years ago

My guess is that he will be using Cover Stain as most painters love this stuff since it's fast drying. Problem is that because it's fast drying, it's not a good choice for exteriors since it will get brittle and fail much faster than a medium or long oil primer that dries slower. If he hasn't started yet, I would ask him to use BM's Moorwhite primer. As for an additive, there is no silver bullet you can add, that's what the paint is for. MoorGlo is among the best -two full coats plus the primer should yield years of service.

• forhgtv
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I'll double-check the primer and talk to him about the Moorwhite.

• Faron79
    12 years ago

If you're out East, FPE is an awesome paint!

NOT cheap, but you're done for a decade with this stuff.

Faron

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

Should be good for a decade( actually more) using paintguys paint and save yourself a couple or 5 hundred $$$.

Faron, I know you love this stuff but to me( IMHO) it just is not worth the $. I don't think ANY paint is worth that much unless it would double the lifespan, say last for 2 and 1/2 century's