Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
refinishing/painting kraftmaid vanity

Posted by jle (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 19, 10 at 21:54

I have a KraftMaid bathroom vanity that I'm guesstimating is about 20 years old. The doors and drawer fronts appear to be solid wood. The end side of the vanity is a laminate or MDF or something, as is the front of the vanity behind the doors (the vanity is a partial overlay). The current finish is sort of French Provincial -- tan/beige undertones but with some sort of vanilla-ish glaze overtop.

I'd like to refinish it as the piece is in great shape. I've painted cabinets before (basically sanded, applied primer, and paint) and was very happy with them.

(a) can I do that here? It seems that KraftMaid may have applied some sort of finish top coat product -- will that flub up the project?

(b) if I can potentially do some sort of painting, should I stick with painting and forego attempting to stain them a darker color?

Many, many thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: refinishing/painting kraftmaid vanity

Here's a link to very comprehensive step-by-step directions on successful painting of cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to paint cabinets

o
RE: refinishing/painting kraftmaid vanity

I would stick with painting and not try to stain them.

I've also painted my KraftMaid vanities (in two different bathrooms) and had no trouble. It is most important to get a great primer. I had good luck last time with Zinsser Bin primer/sealer. Dries in a few minutes and really adhered well. This time (in my powder room, which I'm just starting) I'm trying a different product called STIX because I've seen some good reviews of it and it's waterbourne so clean-up should be easier. The Bin is a shellac, basically. My local BM store carries both.

I used the oil based BM Impervo. I think in a lower use area you might be able to get by with a waterbourne paint but I really wanted it to last.

And I second the above link to step-by-step directions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here