Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchen4six

Whitewashing walls- anyone have experience?

dietitian
13 years ago

I want to paint my living room white but I don't want it to be boring, so I thought about whitewashing to give it texture. Has anyone ever whitewashed an interior wall? Do you have pics?

Here is a link that might be useful: whitewashing link

Comments (5)

• art_teacher_mom
    13 years ago

Are you talking about trying to whitewash sheetrock?

Is there currently paint on it?
    I'd be careful of the recipe you posted in the link, some of that stuff is nasty to breathe.

Just another idea if you want white, but not boring. How about a metallic white? I'm pretty sure Modern Masters makes one.

• liriodendron
    13 years ago

I'm sorry, the link doesn't open for me, so I don't know what kind of recipe you were thinking of using. Maybe you could post it here?

But I regularly whitewash some of my walls at my farm so maybe I can help.

The whitewash I use is the traditional homemade variety made with hydrated lime (quick lime), white sizing and water, made into a very thin, almost watery, slurry and slopped or sprayed on the walls. It has no particular texture (except where it builds up after the every-other year applications and hasn't flaked off.)

I use it on my laid-up stone walls in the basement and in the dairy barns on rough wood.

I would not consider using on interior house walls because: a) it's not very long lasting, b) it dries powdery so it brushes off on anything it touches, c) it provides almost no color coverage (although it can be tinted), d) there's no "texture" to it if that's what you're going for e) it creates a nightmare problem for recoating with any other other material (i.e. it's like the dreaded calcimine paint, f) you can't wash or clean it with water, g) it marks very easily - even adjusting a hanging painting that had gotten itself off center would leave a visible mark, h) applying it in a finished area where overspray or drips might be a problem would create application difficulties because it is so thin and runny.

So why do I use it: a) it's traditional b) it's very inexpensive c) on the dampish basement and milking parlor walls its alkalinity inhibits - but doesn't completely prevent - fungal growth and in the dairy areas it also provides an easy to update sanitary coating.

Now, perhaps what you were intending isn't strictly a "whitewash" coating, but something else? Or maybe you have stone or rough-hewn walls instead of normal plaster or wall board?

BTW, I'd also think twice about any wallcoating that created any a textured surface. These are difficult to live with, hard to clean and a pain to remove.

If what you're aiming for is a surface with uneven color for deeper visual interest, then perhaps something like the Venetian plaster look would work. Also full-spectrum paint colors are very interesting to live with and not boring, at all.

You might look into Donald Kaufman's books (and paints) to see how effective apparently "white" full-spectrum paints can be.

HTH

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

Hi,
    in the Williamsburg-endorsed line of paints (maybe it's Pratt & Lambert) they sell a "simulated whitewash" that is really just a very thick, flat oil-based paint. When applied with a whitewashing brush, and swirled around on the walls, it is said to be fairly convincing imitation. This is a far better alternative than using actual lime-based whitewash on your sheetrock. Lime will only really stick to masonry substrates.
    I could not find any manufacturers info on the williamsburg whitewash, so I found this other brand.
    Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Old-village paints

• dietitian
    Original Author
    13 years ago

art teacher mom- you are right, further research shows you cannot whitewash sheetrock. :( A MM white would be great, except my dining room is MM silver and I think it would be a bit much to have two "glittery" rooms.

liriodendron- venetian plaster is a good alternative! I will look into that.

sombreuil mongrel- thanks for the link! that may just be what I am looking for!

• amylucey
    13 years ago

Just did a white wash on pine boards yesterday. See post in this forum and I'll post a pic here. It was EASY! Going to poly it today to preserve all the hard work. :)

I mixed 1/2 grey paint, 1/2 water. Applied with a brush and then quickly wiped with a rag. So fun!

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: White/grey wash over original pine boards