Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
@&##$% wasps

Posted by donk4kyv (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 24, 10 at 21:38

Temperatures are finally cooling down enough that I can resume my never-ending exterior house painting chore.

I started work this morning, repairing some rotted wood before the primer is to be applied. But after about an hour, I was chased away by red wasps that have apparently built nests in cavities inside the wall. They began dive-bombing me and chased me off the ladder several times before I gave up. The only thing that saved me from multiple stings was my loose-fitting long sleeve T-shirt and my frizzy hair. I can handle visible nests but I don't even know where this nest is, and there are probably multiple nests.

The last thing I need is to fall off a ladder trying to escape a swarm of flying rattlesnakes. That happened to me years ago and resulted in a racked-up knee that had me laid up weeks. This part of the house was built in about 1915, so there are plenty of cracks for wasps to enter and exit.

I wonder how professional painters deal with this problem, which must be a common, since probably every old house in this part of the country (middle TN) is similarly infested. I asked a couple of local guys, but all they have ever worked on were modern, air-tight houses with vinyl siding, so the only painting they do is exterior trim and interior, and they said they have never had any problem with wasps.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: @&##$% wasps

Ace hardware carries a wasp spray that shoots about twenty feet. That would rid the wasps you see but not the ones in the nest. Exterminators have a solution that they use to inject into the area of the nests. You might consider just getting an exterminator to professionally rid them, then get on closing up the areas where they are nesting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here