Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint fumes will not go away :(

Posted by srn123 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 21, 11 at 21:32

Oh I am so glad to find this forum. I hope you can help.

A few months ago I moved here, and the closets were painted. I do not know what was used, but the smell will not go away despite my ongoing and costly efforts. There are no windows in there unfortunately, but I have been keeping my bedroom window open, and a couple of oscilating fans have been running in there. I have tried everything to remove the odors. Weird suggestions of cut up onions, baking soda and vinegar in bowls, and even using both to clean the walls down. Lysol, bleach, soap and water, OdoBan, oxi clean, vanilla extract in a bowl. It works for a couple of hours and then its right back again.

So yesterday I couldnt take it anymore and decided to go with a tip to repaint. BIG mistake. I used glidden satin/eggshell, I tried doing one built in shelf.... man that is SO strong again.

Can someone PLEASE help me. I cant handle this anymore and Im at my wits end here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint fumes will not go away :(

They were painted months ago??Paint is paint and it is going to smell like paint but after months, even oil based paint smell should hve dissapated. You got me.

o
RE: Paint fumes will not go away :(

Is this a Home or Apartment/Condo??

* If it's the latter, there MAY be someone to contact to find out what was used.
* If it's a HOME, contact previous owners.
* No cans left behind anywhere?!

Some possibilities:
Old paint, paint blended-off will expired paint, frozen paint blended with useable paint, etc.

Remedies:
* Sounds goofy, but see if you can literally pull off the paint layers!! If no/little prep was done, this MAY be a possibility! In THIS case, I'd try this first!!!
* Air exchange is KEY.
* Rent/buy a Dehumidifier and run it in that room for a week.
* Is there any moldy smell? Where in the home is this room?

Faron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here