Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bayareafrancy

Argh: yet ANOTHER stressful trip to the paint store!

bayareafrancy
15 years ago

I hate going to my local paint store. They always try to talk me into different things than what has been advised on this forum. They always make me feel like an incompetent putz (which I AM, but they needn't make me feel that way!) Last time they could barely contain their snickers when I asked for Cabinet Coat.

Today's trip.

Me: (Pointing to the Impervo Alkyd) Can I please get a quart of that, but in the waterborne.

Paintguy: in the green can?

Me: I don't know what color the can is.

Paintguy: Then how do you know that's what you want?

Me: (Thinking, WTF????) Because several painters have advised that I use it. Do you carry it?

Paintguy: It's in the back. We don't usually sell it to the general public b/c it's harder to work with.

Me: Yes, I've heard that. I prefer working with oil because I'm a very slow painter, but I can't deal with the mineral spirits anymore.

Paintguy starts pushing the Aura on me.

Me: I've heard the Aura is even more difficult to work with than the waterborne Impervo.

Paintguy (shaking head, and giving me that 'look'): No it's much easier to use. Where did you hear it was hard?

Me: Oh, from several folks who have tried it.

Paintguy is going into an Aura sales talk (basically calls it something along the lines of 'idiotproof'). Stresses that it will give much better coverage on kitchen cabinets. All I can do is reply that I'm more comfortable with something that is tried and true, like the Impervo. He shrugs and gives up, giving me that look that says I'm a fool to doubt him.

I won't even go into the conversations we had about rollers...

It was SO stressful!!

But I got the Impervo. Just a quart, in case I can't get the hang of it.

Oh--he also said to start with a wet brush (and to clean it during use as it gums up). But I just recently read here (maybe from randita??) that when using the acrylic Impervo, the brush needs to be BONE DRY. She stressed that. Else it makes a mess. Opinions??

I'm so stressed out at this point, I'm considering a plane trip to faron's store so he can sell me paint in a more friendly environment!

Argh!

Francy

Comments (9)

• randita
    15 years ago

bayareafrancy - as has been written here quite often, you sometimes don't get the best advice at paint stores. Trust the guys on this forum who paint for a living.

I did stress using a dry brush with the waterborne. I learned this was best when once when I went to paint, the brush I wanted to use wasn't completely dry from a previous washing but I went ahead and used it. The paint really gummed up on me fast. Since then I use only a bone dry brush.

It is true that the waterborne paint gums up on the brush fast, sometimes as quickly as 30 minutes. Then you start to leave brush strokes. When that happens to me, I just start with a clean, dry brush. I have a working rotation of about 8 brushes in various sizes and shapes so I can always find a dry one.

Chinex brushes work well, but are hard to find around where I live. I ordered mine online at "thepaintstore.com". I got Coronas.

You'll be happy with the Impervo. I use the SW equivalent - ProClassic.

I wished I had taken the time to practice on some scrap lumber before I started using the ProClassic. I painted a few six paneled doors (vertical) with trim before I started to get the hang of it. But when I got the sags and drips, I just sanded them out when the paint was dry and lightly touched them up and you can't even see the mistake.

If you can, practice first, esp. if you're doing vertical surfaces. If you're doing horizontal surfaces, you will have instant results.

• paintguy22
    15 years ago

I like working with a dry brush too but there are lots and lots of painters who like them wet. They will even give them a quick rinse before starting to paint for the day. The reason I hate wet brushes is because the bristles do weird things and the edge of the brush is hard to find. All brushes have an edge...the edge is what you use to make a straight line when you compress the bristles. You should try it out for yourself and see what you like....you may not mind using a damp brush. The guys at the paint store are just spewing back info that they heard from other clerks or that they read on cans...not many of em actually know how to paint.

• Faron79
    15 years ago

Hi BAF!!
    Yeah, I wish you could visit!!
    If you'd like, there's a link to a thread of mine from last Nov., showing pics of our store.

Since then however, we've re-arranged the front part of the store...more paint bulk-racking, etc.
    I'll have to get some new pics soon...!!

...Alas...my Paint-counter is still just 10' away from the little Cafe!
    (damn Choc-chip cookies are waaaaay too tempting...)

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: Fargo, ND Store pics...

• Michael
    15 years ago

Francy,

Most of the guys at the paint store counter want to look smart in front of a woman. But, don't let them fool you!

You already know more than they do!

Michael

• Rudebekia
    15 years ago

Ok, I'm off the subject here, I know, but I couldn't help responding. I know that men are from Mars and women are from Venus (or is it the other way around??), but if men think such things make them look "smart" in front of women it is no wonder the genders can't communicate! Sad.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    15 years ago

Many of my clients have told me that the best part of hiring a color consultant wasn't the help with color but not having to deal with painters, contractors and the paint stores. All of them can be a major PITA.

The most ironic thing I've noticed is on the front end, when they're getting you all geared up and all sure about "what you really need", the expertise they throw at you is so incredibly confident and full. But, when something goes wrong and you go back to complain or seek assistance in dealing with the aftermath of any bad advice initally given, suddenly nobody knows nothin'.

If you find a good person to work with at a paint store, or a great painter who knows how to listen as well as swing a brush, it's a great thing. I find myself torn between wanting to sing their praises and sending them business and keeping the contact info secret 'cuz I don't want to share!

• decodilly
    15 years ago

Francy, Hi remember me from the Kitchen forum? Is your kitchen finished?

I just tried to get Cabinet Coat only to find it's been cut from inventory due to California's new regulations. I'm so sad. Are you using the Impervo Alkyd for your cabinets? How did it work?

I have one cabinet and all the trim and shelves and clothing bars in a closet that I just redesigned. I had so counted on using Cabinet Coat, and now I'm at a loss as to what to choose!

• bayareafrancy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Decodilly!

Is my kitchen done? Bwahahahahahahaha! Oh, it will be at least a YEAR before my teeny kitchen is done (making it almost a 4 year project). Gad--did I just type that. Now I'm depressed...

I'm using the waterborne Impervo. Not the alkyd. I was going to use the alkyd, but the paint pros here STRONGLY pushed the waterborne's better performance (in terms of flexibility and durability--not brittle and chipping like alkyd etc.) And after using oil based primer, I was just totally fed up with mineral spirits and difficult cleanup. I just LOVE the waterborne Impervo (see my post called "I love this Impervo" for rmkitchen's raves about the same product). It is a little tricky for me to apply, but then I have bad wrists/hands, and my technique isn't the greatest.

If you really want the CC, you could always order it online. And pay shipping (might be a lot?).

And I just had a GOOD trip to the paint store. Because I had no questions, and needed no advice.

Me: I need a quart of the waterborne Impervo please.
    Him: I don't think we have any of that in the quart size.
    Me: Oh dear, I hope you do. I just bought some a week ago [showing him my recipt, which I had brought with me]. I was told you keep it in the back. [pleasant smile]
    Him: I'll check.

And he gets it for me. In "the back."

:-)

francy

• decodilly
    15 years ago

Oh I totally get that. I ended up buying the Ace version of Cabinet Coat.
    I had to call 6 stores before I found a store that had it in stock and nobody at any of the stores seemed to have any clue that it existed. Me: Really there is a paint called Cabinet Door and Trim, I swear!

The Ace paint is a bit different than CC in that it is a bit glossier. One thing I really like about CC is that has a soft matt finish. It is also really thin and drippy just like CC, but it does cover well, and you can easily go back and wipe up drips. I tried the Impervo and sucked at it. I just couldn't restrain myself from trying to get those drips then would end up having to sand out a grainy mess. Grrr!

I know it seems like it's taking forever with your kitchen, but you really have made progress since last year and your insistence on quality has payed off. I love how authentic your cabinets are. I can't wait to see them when they are pretty and yellow! Your kitchen is going to be so beautiful!