Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
two_zees

Re-Painting Kitchen Cabinets

two-zees
11 years ago

We are re-doing our kitchen cabinets, and have decided to go with brand new doors on the existing cabinets. We've ordered RTF doors in "antique white", and I've just received my sample door so I'm ready to match the paint and get started on the cabinets.

The cabinets are european laminated finish from the 80's, and they have already been painted once about 12 years ago with what I believe was a good quality melamine paint. However they did a sloppy job, brush lines and drips everywhere. I have started trying to sand, but because the existing paint is so durable I'm only able to dull the finish and remove the larger drips - I'm not able to completely sand out the brush lines.

I need advice on what paint and primer to use, given that I'm painting over existing paint. I initially decided to go with melamine paint, but after researching I'm not sure that's a good idea.

I've discovered Penetrol and intend to use it hoping it will help (a) minimize my own brush/roller lines, and (b) fill some of the existing brush lines. I'm not clear however if Penetrol can be added to melamine paint. Or primer.

I'm also concerned with choosing a paint that is least likely to yellow over time. And I'm looking for a matte/eggshell finish to closest match my RTF doors.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (2)