Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting Trim: BS Satin Impervo vs. SW ProClassic Oil Enamel

Posted by carrie_eileen (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 31, 11 at 19:51

I know this has been rehashed a million times, and I've been reading through a ton of posts. Long story short: We are painting several built-ins and the trim in our house white.

We've had four estimates. Three painters insisted on oil-based enamel - either Ben Moore or the SW Pro-Classic. The fourth guy said that he really only works with the water-based Satin Impervo. The oil guys say it's the only way to go; the other guy says that the Impervo is an excellent product and what he uses. We really liked this guy.

I have the ProClassic in my kitchen and though the fumes nearly killed me, it's hard as a rock. Any of you Satin Impervo people have any thoughts to share? This would go on trim, built in china hutches and a fireplace mantle with books shelves. I've heard rumors of it being "sticky" . . .

Thanks in advance for any insight. I called the Ben Moore guy and he said old school guys insist on oil, but at some point these kinds of paints will be phased out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting Trim: BS Satin Impervo vs. SW ProClassic Oil Enamel

Satin Impervo Waterborne for me. Oil is great also but it yellows over time , smells bad and is a pain in the butt to clean up, and the waterborne looks and feels just like the oil, so there you go.

o

There is a third option, BM Advance. It's a water based alkyd. It applies and flows like SI but low VOC and little smell. Still takes a while to fully cure and may yellow slightly (not an issue unless you are going with white) but has the look of SI. Whatever you choose, let the shelves and mantle cure thoroughly (a few weeks) before you put anything on them.

o

I'm trying to decide between oil Impervo and Advance for the trims. They've been primed with BM Alkyd primer. The color will be cream white. I don't care about drying time, smell, or yellowing. Which one is going to have a more smooth and tough surface? oil or advance? only considering BM because there's a store 2 blocks away. Thanks guys.

o

take you're pick

o

I painted my mantle and fireplace surround with Satin Impervo, and it looks lovely. However, for durability for doors, baseboards, trim that will get scuffed and cleaned, NO waterbased finish that I have tested even comes close to alkyd enamel. We have a very light off-white alkyd enamel on door or trim that has not yellowed in rooms with windows. In rooms without any windows at all, it yellowed slightly.

I've painted some items that needed to hold up to extreme wear conditions (UV rays, salt water, extreme abrasion, plus the paint needed to bond to a surface designed to be solvent- and abrasion-resistant). I used alkyd enamel and the best acrylics I could find, and there was absolutely no comparison.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here