Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amr444

best masking tape on stucco

AMR444
10 years ago

I am painting my wood exterior window trim on a stucco wall. What is the best tape to use on the stucco so the trim paint (latex) does not creep underneath the tape? Also I do not want to pull any of the stucco off -- it is very rough -- in removing the tape. I have some red "stucco" tape and also bought some "frog green" tape. Your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

none ... get a painter's shield or a piece of stiff plastic to protect the wall when you cut in. And cut in carefully.

If the tape sticks well enough to prevent bleeding, it's going to take some stucco off.

• Jumpilotmdm
    10 years ago

Getting on here is entertaining just for the questions. Masking tape for stucco?

• Kathryn
    3 years ago

I'm having an alike issue.

Last year, my family asked our crew helping transform our yards if they could build a slightly curved mural wall to draw interest to our backyard and divert eyes from the ugly telephone pole and wires. They completed the project however we soon realized a bit on a miscommunication…

The wall was stucco. I rolled with it, asked my Father-in-law to buff out the area I wanted to paint. I used a tile-decal I got on an `Etsy` store to help piece together the boarder. Now I’m ready to start my artwork inside. I’d love to find a good quality tape to stick onto the surface of the stucco so that I won’t have paint dribbles onto my boarder. I already worked hours on the boarder itself so it would pain me if it was ruined. If anyone has any suggestions of good tape that truly sticks to stucco, let me know.

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

Ooh you could have movie night & project on to that wall! Very cool. 🌈

• Robin Galante
    3 years ago

I painted my border trim and the windows themselves

with no painters tape nor a shield. A good brush, and a steady hand. Practice painting with your brush beforehand so you can learn what pressure and angles to use. Makes cleanup a breeze and it’s very zen!

• donna78b
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

3M Stucco Tape is one I found & other is Shurtape I am buying both to try as I am trying to tape off my Stucco to paint my iron door. I'll post results after I try & let you know which of the two works best.