Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musicteacher_gw

storage

musicteacher
9 years ago

What is the best way to store leftover paint? It is VERY hot in my garage but that is about the only place I could store it. I have opened older cans of paint and had rust off the lid fall into the paint. YUK! Also, any advice on cleaning brushes? I bought good brushes, but notice that latex paint is drying on the bristles even while I paint and they never seem as smooth after a couple of uses.

Comments (7)

• Michael
    9 years ago

Cleaning brushes.

I use GOOP orange hand cleaner to clean brushes and expensive (worth keeping) roller covers.

Work it in, let it soak for 30 minutes then work it with a brush comb, then rinse thoroughly, spin out excess water, hang to dry.

Leftover paint. I only keep enough for a touch up, the rest is hardened and pitched. I keep it in glass jars with plastic lids.

• paintguy22
    9 years ago

We use wire brushes to clean off the dried paint on the bristles and a green scrubbie pad to clean the paint off the metal and wood portions of the brush.

• musicteacher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both.

• Faron79
    9 years ago

Yes, glass jars are the best! I like using the canning-style lids with the separate rings though...NO air can get in.

Also: Minimize airspace! The goal is "near-zero". Use some ping-pong balls/similar to do this. Paint will keep a loooonng time this way!

Faron

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

faron - I've got some brand-new gallons (extra bought when built house) that are 7 years old - are they still good?

I put small amounts left over into butter tubs and cake frosting containers (well scrubbed), flipped them upside down after putting the lids on, I hope those are OK but no big deal since it's such a small amount.

When are you having your surgery? My dad has his right knee scheduled for Oct 29, they'll do the left about 3 weeks later.

• Faron79
    9 years ago

* The extra gallons are probably fine if never opened. They'll need a good machine-shaking though!
    * Plastic containers CAN be ok...IF minimal airspace. There's a reason though, that people don't "can" will plastic!
    * Oh my! I have trouble wrapping my head around getting ONE knee done! LOL! My left knee will be done 9-26...UFFDA! That's 10 days after my B-day!

Yikes!!!! Only 25 days now....

Faron

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Just a note: I took 3 cans of unopened (2008) Duron paint with me to SW to have them shaken, since they were never opened. The paint had hardened all along the inside walls of the can. Couldn't use 'em. Shame, because it was retintable paint, which was my goal.