Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabrielle12_gw

outdoor primer and paint

gabrielle12
13 years ago

I am painting an unfinished wood cornhole game and would like the most durable primer available. I will not be leaving it outdoors, but still want it to be an excellent sealer for moisture. Based on research Zinsser is the way to go, but there are many products and I cannot decide which I should use. I will be using high gloss white paint (undecided as to that one as well) over the primer. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Comments (6)

• paintguy22
    13 years ago

If you really want the best paint, then you should go with Fine Paints of Europe. I don't often recommend FPE because they are really overpriced, but for something like this, it would be a perfect choice. You will want their slow drying oil based exterior primer, whatever that may be followed by their high gloss oil based topcoat...I think that is called Hollandac. The reason you will want to use oil based is because high gloss in latex is still very hard to apply unless you spray.

• gabrielle12
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your reply, paintguy. I do have one question - doesn't oil based white paint yellow? 21 years ago the kitchen cabinets in our new home were painted a high gloss bright white, which I wanted, but they yellowed within a few months. The painter used oil based to get the high gloss. He did not know they would yellow until he asked the manufacturer about it and was told that was a common problem with oil based paint. He repainted them with a high gloss latex. Thanks again for any input.

• paintguy22
    13 years ago

Yes, it is true that oil based paint will yellow. But, high gloss latex is very difficult to apply and you wanted high gloss and you wanted most durable finish so that would be FPE. You could get a semi-gloss exteior 100 percent acrylic paint....that is probably what I would do. I think it is shiny enough, though the cornhole game makers may disagree. Prime with high quality slow drying exterior oil based primer and then topcoat with two coats of finish. There are several good brands. I like C2.

• gabrielle12
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What exterior oil based primer do you recommend? Even though oil based, it will not cause yellowing as long as topped with an acrylic paint, correct? Also, I checked the C2 website but they only list latex for exterior, no acrylic. Is there another acrylic paint you recommend?

I really appreciate your time and patience with my many questions. The cornhole boards were expensive so I just want to be sure I do it right so as to last.

• paintguy22
    13 years ago

C2 'latex' is acrylic. Just make sure that it says 100 percent acrylic somewhere on the can or on their specs. I don't even know if C2 makes any paint that is not 100 percent acrylic. The words 'latex' and 'acrylic' are used interchangably these days, so it can get confusing. True latex paint that are not acrylic may have some vinyl component in them which means they are cheap paints and this will certainly be reflected in the price. C2's DTS (Direct to Substrate) is a good exterior 100 percent acrylic paint and they also have an exterior semi gloss paint I believe. Right, if you prime with oil and then topcoat with acrylic, the yellowing will not be an issue because the primer is covered completely. You can also get the exterior oil based (alkyd) primer from C2. If you can't find a C2 dealer, there is always Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams.

• gabrielle12
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I had no idea latex and acrylic were used interchangeably; that is definitely good to keep in mind for all future painting. I think I will go the route you recommend. Once again, thanks for all your input.