Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Okay to use Oil Base Paint over Water Base on Metal?

Posted by kendog2 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 17:34

We're painting the metal framework of our doughboy style swimming pool. I used an oil base Rustoleum primer. I then painted some of the parts with Vista Protec Alkyd Emulsion paint. I just discovered that we already have a can of oil base Rustoleum Industrial Coating. (I purchased it so long ago that I'd forgotten about it.)

I'm wondering if I should use the Rustoleum paint to avoid wasting it. I could use the Vista paint on some furniture. To make the pool parts match, I would need to repaint the parts that were painted with the Vista Alkyd paint. Would it be acceptable to use an oil base over water base paint? I've heard that oil base fades. However, since it is white, perhaps that is a non-issue? Which paint would be more durable?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Okay to use Oil Base Paint over Water Base on Metal?

Durable in what way? Oils are generally more "Mar" resistant as they provide a harder coat. They then don't last as long by way of fade and rust, especially around a pool.
Alkyd means oil based to me. Where are you seeing water based product?
Acrylic usually means water based.
Make sure what you already painted is adhering well and paint away!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here