Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenthumb_jones

Painting advice for great room with vaulted ceiling

greenthumb.jones
11 years ago

My husband and I have been building a house, and we are nearly ready to start painting. I have been stressing out over the great room though - although most of the rooms in the house are small, our great room is around 50 feet long and has a vaulted ceiling (around 16 feet at the top, dropping down to 8 feet on one wall). I included a picture of the room with most of the drywall in, and it will be getting texture on both the walls and ceilings. Since the room includes the kitchen, living room and dining room, I want to use either egg shell or satin paint - no matte! So, here are the questions keeping me up at night.

1) The house is straw bale, and the line between the plaster on the bales on the drywall isn't straight. We'll be filling it before painting, but it still won't have a clean line. I'd like to paint the entire great room (including the ceiling) the same color because of this. Usually, I see flat as the suggested finish for ceilings, but I feel like it would look weird to have a line where the same color paint transitions between egg shell/satin to flat ceiling paint. Can I just go all one finish?

2) We'll be doing the painting in the house, but I'm a little concerned that using a paint with a sheen (as opposed to matte) will make the marks from our rollers obvious. Is this actually something I should worry about, and if so, what is the best way to counteract it?

Comment (1)