Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Flashing question and tried a different paint....3 coats?

User
13 years ago

Hi, this is a two part thread..

1. In the past IÂve used the Ace Royal line of paint and have been happy with how it covers and scrubs. I donÂt like that every place I touch up, whether itÂs an eggshell, satin, or flat Sensations finish, it flashes. Does the more expensive paint like BM or SW do this? A quick glance at some old threads looks like yes.

2. Next, the hardware store stopped carrying Ace and now has a brand called Do It Best. The owner told me itÂs even better and is made by Sherwin Williams  which is does say so on the bucket.

I bought a 5 gallon bucket for a large portion of our basement in eggshell. Cleaned bare drywall, used 1 coat of Glidden drywall primer because my brother in law gave us an almost new bucket.

The first coat of paint didnÂt look great but I wasn't worried. I finally got around to the 2nd coat (a good three weeks later) and it looks like it could use a 3rd coat. ItÂs only been a few hours since I painted but IÂd imagine itÂs not going to get any better. The color is BM Crown Point Sand. DoesnÂt look "terrible" but if you walk around and look close you can actually see flashing here and there where the screws in the drywall were mudded. IÂll also mention there is no natural light in our basement.

Is it safe to assume the paint is junk? Lousey primer? Both? I made sure to remix well before using and didnÂt go skimpy on applying the paint.

I really like the people at the hardware store. They always perfectly match my colors but I donÂt think IÂll be buying this new paint anymore. And if spending the money on BM, SW, etc. will fix the flashing itÂll be money worth spent. ThereÂs really no point in keeping touch up paint if it draws even more attention to the spot youÂre trying to fix, you know?

Thanks in advance!

Comment (1)