Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flashing question and tried a different paint....3 coats?

Posted by sheesharee (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 1, 10 at 17:11

Hi, this is a two part thread..

1. In the past Ive used the Ace Royal line of paint and have been happy with how it covers and scrubs. I dont like that every place I touch up, whether its an eggshell, satin, or flat Sensations finish, it flashes. Does the more expensive paint like BM or SW do this? A quick glance at some old threads looks like yes.

2. Next, the hardware store stopped carrying Ace and now has a brand called Do It Best. The owner told me its even better and is made by Sherwin Williams which is does say so on the bucket.

I bought a 5 gallon bucket for a large portion of our basement in eggshell. Cleaned bare drywall, used 1 coat of Glidden drywall primer because my brother in law gave us an almost new bucket.

The first coat of paint didnt look great but I wasn't worried. I finally got around to the 2nd coat (a good three weeks later) and it looks like it could use a 3rd coat. Its only been a few hours since I painted but Id imagine its not going to get any better. The color is BM Crown Point Sand. Doesnt look "terrible" but if you walk around and look close you can actually see flashing here and there where the screws in the drywall were mudded. Ill also mention there is no natural light in our basement.

Is it safe to assume the paint is junk? Lousey primer? Both? I made sure to remix well before using and didnt go skimpy on applying the paint.

I really like the people at the hardware store. They always perfectly match my colors but I dont think Ill be buying this new paint anymore. And if spending the money on BM, SW, etc. will fix the flashing itll be money worth spent. Theres really no point in keeping touch up paint if it draws even more attention to the spot youre trying to fix, you know?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flashing question and tried a different paint....3 coats?

I don't use much SW interior paint or Ace brand, so I can't comment on that. But BM does have minimal issues with flashing. There are other factors of course, and the drywall patches could be flashing because they were not sanded well too. Eggshells and washable paints will always be harder to touch up than flat and darker colors will always be harder to touch up than lighter colors. Also, the way you touch up can make a difference. You should use the same nap size roller that was used when the painting was originally done and you should never use a brush in the center of a wall to do the touching up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here