Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yet Another GARDZ/Wallpaper/Painting Question

Posted by celiaanne (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 5, 10 at 17:01

Hello,

I have read many of the threads on wallpaper removal, and I am still confused as to what I should be doing.

Done so far:

1. Removed wallpaper using Diff -- some of the drywall "paper" came off with the wallpaper.
2. Thoroughly washed down the walls getting as much glue off as possible.

Now plan to:

3. Apply a coat of GARDZ (after allowing the walls to dry thoroughly)
4. Use joint compound to repair any wall surface damaged by the removal
5. Use spackling compound to repair nail holes, etc.
6. Sand the areas where I use the joint and spackling compounds
7. Reapply GARDZ where I've sanded.
8. Paint (2 coats)

I see on another thread this recommendation:

Posted by christophern (My Page) on Fri, Jan 1, 10 at 5:44
1. Strip paper, 2. sand off loose and fuzzy stuff, 3. apply Gardz, 4. sand, 5. skim, 6. sand, 7. clean dust, 8. apply Gardz, 9 paint.

Is it necessary to sand the entire wall after the Gardz application and then "skim" (?) and then sand and reapply Gardz or is that for very damaged walls? Should I reapply GARDZ just where I've used the compounds after I sand? I'm doing 4 rooms and I just don't think I have it in me to sand each room 3 times.

Will my plan work?

Thank you in advance for any and all advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yet Another GARDZ/Wallpaper/Painting Question

Only sand what is rough. You do not have to use Gardz after patching. It is just one option. You can use a regular latex primer or paint as well.

o
RE: Yet Another GARDZ/Wallpaper/Painting Question

THANK YOU, Paintguy. Just what I wanted to hear.

o
Painting Problem! (Pictures)

Hello, We have just put on the first coat of paint (following all the steps I listed above), and we are having a real "tacky/sticking" problem. We are using Valspar eggshell, which we have used in several other rooms with no problems.

When I go over the same spot twice (just normal blending) the roller is pulling the paint off -- or clumping it together -- not sure how to best describe it. It sometimes happens on the first roll, but usually it's on the second time over the same spot.

We will be applying a second coat, but I am wondering what we can do to fix the spots that are still rough (sand?). Is there something we can do to prevent this happening again? What can be causing it? I'm going to attempt to attach 2 pictures

Thank you very much for any advice. I don't think this project is EVER going to end -- or end well!

Here is a link that might be useful: Painting Problem

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here