Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southernstitcher

Best cleaner before painting?

southernstitcher
10 years ago

I have a room with all sorts of unidentified nasties on the wall and trim that I need to clean before painting. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments (10)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Whatever works ... Start with a spray cleaner like 409 or its generic equivalents. If there are resistant spots, try a mild solvent like rubbing alcohol or mineral spirits.

Do NOT use an oily soap: Murphy's, and the "easy on the skin" dishwashing liquids will make your paint job fail.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

Don't know if it's the best but I use Krud kutter almost daily on my paint jobs

• southernstitcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much! I've seen Krud Kutter at the store. I have some Windex multi purpose too, and I also have mineral spirits.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

Mineral spirits will leave a film not conducive to latex paint, not good

• orchidsnyc
    10 years ago

I recently used Dirtex on some badly (cigarette smoke) stained walls and a ceiling and it worked pretty well. It claims not to need rinsing and while I changed the solution often, I didn't go back and rinse with clean water. I've never seen it at Home Depot but hardware and paint stores usually carry it, or online. (I'm talking about the powdered version you mix with water; I think you are supposed to rinse off the stuff in the spray bottle.)

I've used similar products for general cleaning but this was the first time before a paint job. The paint's only a week or two old so I don't know if there'll be adhesion trouble down the road but so far so good.

• Faron79
    10 years ago

2 notes:

>>> POWDERED Dirtex is great for "smoker cleanup"! The nicotine residue however, is too nasty to NOT be rinsed. That's about the only exception to the "no-rinse" powdered Dirtex. If a nicotine-room is bad enough...you'll have to wash/rinse TWICE.

>>> Spray-Dirtex- Label distinctly says..."Do not use for pre-paint cleaning". The ingredients used to keep cleaning-agents in suspension...don't play well with paints trying to adhere!

Faron

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I've used denatured alcohol...

• Faron79
    10 years ago

All of the alcohol DOES evaporate....BUT-
    It does soften most Latexes, especially lower-quality breeds. It'll damage most Flats/Mattes quickly.

Magic-Erasers usually are fine for "mystery spots"-cleaning!
    Again, this assumes decent quality paint....

For a good overall wall-wash though, you can't beat POWDERED Dirtex or POWDERED Spin-n-Span.

Traditional TSP's are good too, but need to be rinsed...WELL...sometimes 3 times! Also...don't let it dry b4 the rinses!!

Faron

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Dirtex or TSP is often recommended for wall clean up prior to painting.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Dirtex or TSP is often recommended for wall clean up prior to painting.