Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to Use to Seal Bathroom Walls

Posted by chipster_2007 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 23, 10 at 15:30

I have just removed wallpaper form a bathroom exposing rough plaster underneath. My plan is to wash residual paste off wall with Dirtex. Patch a few places with drywall compound. Let dry and sand wall with 120 and 180 grit sandpaper. My questions are 1) Is there anything else I need to do to prep walls and 2) should I seal the wall with bullseye 123 (shellac) or and I use Perma White as a primer/sealer and then put on a second coat?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to Use to Seal Bathroom Walls

I would use Gardz because this will lock down any residual wallpaper paste that you may have missed and it will also serve as your primer. Dirtex won't really do anything special to remove the paste I don't think...hot water is really all you need.

o

In my bathroom I used mold and mildew resistant KILZ to seal the walls, works great!

o

I used Gardz after removing our wallpaper and it worked great. Went right over that with Sherwin Williams paint and it was fine. Just make sure you coat the entire wall with Gardz and not spot touch-ups.
I'm sure the shellac would work, but the gardz is watery thin and goes on easy. A little goes a long way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here