Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peste_gw

Painting Victorian exterior

peste
13 years ago

I have just received a quote to paint the exterior of my new 3,500sf Victorian and it felt like a slap in the face. I'm still in shock. Just prep and paint (excluding any shingle repairs needed) these guys quoted me $52,000. At first I thought it was a typo.

The shingles have never been painted, so nothing is peeling. A bit more work is needed for the trim, which has been painted over and needs sanding. The windows are new alum clad (old were beyond repair), so no painting needed.

Does that seem exorbitant to anyone else?

Comments (3)

• paintguy22
    13 years ago

It sounds high, but Victorians can be very involved. Get some other quotes so that you can compare. Some companies that are very busy may also just quote high because they are not interested.

• fanner
    13 years ago

I have a 2,200 s/f victorian (not including the attic and basement) that we had priced for prep and painting. This quote was 5 years ago, and I don't know where you live ~ we live in the mid-west. Location may make a difference. Anyway, one quote was for $10,000 and the other for $12,ooo. We have painted shingles, and the entire house needed scraping, painting and priming. As a result of the hight quotes (then!) we have been scraping and painting it for the last 2 summers.... There is a picture on another thread titled "Front door color suggestions". I would love to see pics of your house! What color/s are you going with? It is always fun to see other victorain homes. Best of luck to you!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

All I can add is color consulting on Victorians often includes color plans that can be executed in steps, sometimes over the course of two to three years due to the high cost of painting them. i.e. Body and trim one year, next year porch and railings detail, final year any scrollwork, fretwork, whatever to finish it off.

The nice thing about spacing it out is once you do it that way, then future REpaint *should* go the same way - like everything will not need painting all in the same year.