Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roadrunner44_gw

Help with open floor plan

roadrunner44
10 years ago

Hi all, I'm a first time poster, and I'm in need of some advice.

We are finally in the process of painting our home (we've been here a couple years), it's still builder white (with white trim, some crown molding). I'm struggling with this because of the layout. I'll try to describe without too much confusion..first floor only.

Walk in and LR is on right, office on left behind double doors. Fan staircase is straight ahead, hallway on 2nd floor exposed. Follow 1st floor hallway to the left of stairs to the kitchen, very open, FR is to left 2 steps down from kitchen and only a knee wall separating the rooms. To the right of the kitchen is the DR (through an open doorway and DR joined to LR), through the kitchen you reach a sun room. You can see multiple rooms from one location so I'm not sure how to go about painting. Others in my neighborhood with similar plans have painted a few different bold colors in each space and I definitely don't want that for my own home. It feels too choppy and just isn't my taste. However I don't want to have an all beige house either. I'm not too keen on accent walls, again a little too bold for me, but it might be an option if I end up keeping mostly one color throughout. I have brazilian cherry floors in some rooms and beige carpet in the rest, espresso cabinets and mostly darker wood furniture.

I like tans, warm browns, some blues...I'm just at a loss right now! Do I keep one (neutral) color for the back of the house where the kitchen, FR and sun room are? Leave the front foyer, halls and staircase another (lighter neutral) color? And office, DR and LR something else? I have a lot of light in the house as well. Thank you for your help in advance.

Comments (3)