Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
painting old already painted wood cabinets

Posted by ontheroad (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 22, 11 at 14:48

In our new house we have two beautiful large, solid, pine storage cabinets -- they are quite old but in great shape. They are painted gray, and (removable shelves) were covered w/ an easily removed contact-type paper.
I want to paint the cabinets white and want to do a thorough job to 1)make them look top-of-the-line and 2)have the job last for years.
The gray paint is not peeling or flaking. The biggest issue, I think, is a thorough cleaning w/ TSP (gross factor-- dirt on the top is probably 50+ yrs. old). The doors on the front are beadboard - and it's clear a handyman (RIP) built them.

1) Do I need to sand or prime these doors?
2) Will Cabinet Coat be the ticket?
3) The hinges are painted, do I try to paint them again?

Also, one post mentioned someone's tips (Michael?) for painting cabinets. I can't find that post but would love any and all tips. I've painted before, but these cabinets deserve tlc, and I'm ready.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: painting old already painted wood cabinets

I would put a coat of primer on after the cleaning as you said( because I don't know if it is oil or latex on them). Either way it cannot hurt. The Cabinet Coat will work. The hardware I would remove and either restore or replace, do not re paint

o

What would you suggest for primer? Looking forward to reusing these cabinets -- we almost got rid of them (would've had to tear them apart to get them out as they are awkward and big and heavy) My idea of recycling...

o

I painted my oak cabinets with Cabinet Coat....used Zinsser 1-2-3 Primer, they look great!!!

o

123 will work fine, myself, I would most likely use Fresh Start or Cover Stain, hard to tell without seeing them.

o

I just painted my cabinets using Ace Cabinet & Trim & love how they came out. I haven't tried Cabinet Coat, but many seem to love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's what you were looking for: Painting Cabinets in Six Steps

o

if you aren't spraying the doors and drawers you are going to get an inferior finish, sorry to say. You might get away with brushing bath vanities and other floor bound items , but that brush stroke look isn't going to fly with kitchen cabinets up high with kitchen lights reflecting off of them highlighting all the brushstrokes. I paint cabinets for a living and there is no way I would ever get paid for that hand brushed look. The goal of painting cabinets is to make them look like they aren't painted. The last thing you want to hear from visitors coming into your home is hey I see you painted your kitchen cabinets. Have to spray them for that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here