Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint not cured-it's been over a month!

Posted by superchick (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 14:34

I recently painted an unfinished wooden bench. I did two coats of primer and then 2-3 coats of latex enamel-waiting over night before each sanding and coat. The paint guy insisted that the enamel would dry hard as a rock and I wouldn't need a sealer. I did the first coat in the garage and realized it was probably way too hot in there, so I finished the other coats inside the house.

It's been well over a month and I can still see a faint mark if I dig my nail into the paint. What gives? Did I screw something up?? Is it ever going to cure so I can use the bench? TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint not cured-it's been over a month!

Is it at all tacky if you touch it or sit on it?

o

No, it's not tacky. Only one person has sat on it, and I swear I can see some marks from where he sat. :(

o

I have a similar problem, but its on a floor that has remained tacky for an entire year. Yet the same paint was used on cabinet doors and is fine. I am thinking that since the difference is a vertical vs a horizontal surface, that this has something to do with it.

Since you used it on a bench, is it any different on the vertical surfaces?

o

If you put the coats on fairly thickly and then re-coated too soon it's possible that the coats underneath the top one did not fully cure and are still a little plastic. You also mentioned that it was hot for the first coat, and that can cause the surface of the coat to skim over and harden before the rest of the paint under it has. Time should take care of this, but I do agree it's a little weird.

o

Thanks for the replies. Well rooted: the vertical surfaces do seem to be just fine. I know I put one more coat on the top than I did on the legs, though. So, it's definitely thicker on the seat part.

I guess I'll just wait it out. So far, it hasn't gotten much use so it hasn't been a problem. I'm just really concerned it will never cure.

The only way to fix that would be to refinish the top again, right? :(

o

I would ask at the paint store. The reason I mentioned vertical vs horizontal is that tucked away in my brain is the memory that I once read that when it comes to using stains or varnish-type products, one uses a different product for table tops compared with chairs.

But I may be dreaming that I read that....

o

Wait it out.

When applying more than 2 coats, always wait 24 to 48 hours between coats. It's also recommended to sand between coats when applying more than two coat combinations.

Tip: When sanding between coats, the paint or other film should powder. If it doesn't powder when sanding, it's not ready for another coat.

o

1) What kind of color is it??
2) Brand/series?
3) What sheen?

This can be a factor. Deep colors can take TWICE as long to cure-through, relative to a "White".

Remember...there's no such thing as paint with "Enamel" in it! It's always been only a marketing buzzword.
Also...Latex paints never get quite as "hard" as Oils do. Latexes always retain a little "flex".

Faron

o

Keep it in air for few days and I must say that your paint will not cured after the paint done. Get the help of professional painters.

Here is a link that might be useful: painters

This post was edited by LuisHinkle on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 9:24

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here